Tuesday, October 14, 2008

U speak English or not? Ur Malay sounds funny!

So here I was sitting at home with conjunctivitis, and wanted to share my experience with another airline: Etihad.. But it got me thinking, why am I so critical on airlines? I reread my blog entries, and most are on airlines, and I just realize how I wrote back then and now are kind of different..

That's when I came to the conclusion: My English is getting worse!

Oh well.. Must be from lack of practice and use. Huhuhu.. The other day also, I was chatting up with a new found friend of mine, and we spoke in Malay. I keep on tersasul cakap Melayu Sarawak. So I changed my medium to English.. This is so against my principal tapi what to do kan? I mean I speak Malay at home and it's my mother tongue, so why can't I carry a conversation in Malay? If I speak in English, it'll b mostly English, and no ketersasulan.

So as a personal observation I think I can only speak Malay to family members and maybe old friends who I'm comfortable with. Speaking Malay is so hard especially with people u just met, what with how to address urself and other people. Whether to use I/U, aku/kau, saya/awak, or the 3rd person calling thingy.. Arghh, so confusing! At least with Sarawak Malay I can stay safe with kamek/kitak.

My cousins from Johor says that there's a distinction between the Semenanjung Malay speakers and Sarawakians. We (Sarawakians) speak Malay softer. Do I? Maybe I speak softer from lack of confidence? I know for one that my sister don't speak Sarawak Malay, but she does speak in a more softer well-mannered way, so good for us then?

Oh, and I was also chatting up with a friend back in USA. "I got red eye," now how Malaysian is that, as supposed to "I have the red eye"? LOL! Oh no, my English is getting more Malaysianized by the day!! And my Malay is getting Sarawakinized too!!

I guess I'm embracing my culture and language by the day then.. I just hope my English and Malay won't be too bad in a few months and years to come!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hullo!

I think I have a bigger problem; I mixed my language soo much it's difficult for me to speak in only one language! Often I pause during conversation to think of the words =S...randomly I use english words when speak malay and vice versa. My grammar is even worse (erk!). If researcher looking for language deterioration example then I might be the best candidate ahahaa

IMHO Sarawakians speak softer due to their culture. We were taught to respect our elders and opposite sex by using decent language (hmmm...izit?)

btw just now I had trouble with taught/thought word huhuhuhu

abcdefghida said...

Ooh.. Thanks for that tad bit of reassurance that I'm not the only one with this problem! Makes me feel "normal" now!